SubjectRe: [-mm patch] Fix inotify umount hangs.
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you, very much, Anton, for hacking on this over the weekend.
> >
> > You are welcome. (-:
> >
> > > It's definitely not the prettiest thing, but there may be no easier
> > > approach. One thing, the messy code is working around the list
> > > changing, doesn't invalidate_inodes() have the same problem? If so, it
> > > solves it differently.
> >
> > It does. It first goes over the i_sb_list and anything it finds that it
> > is interested in (i.e. all inodes with zero i_count), it moves the inode
> > (i_list) over to a private list (this is done in invalidate_list()).
> > Then, when it is finished accessing the i_sb_list, and all inodes of
> > interest (zero i_count) are on the private list, dispose_list() is called,
> > and all inodes on the private list are exterminated. This obviously no
> > longer uses i_sb_list so it does not matter that that is changing now.
> >
> > > I'm also curious if the I_WILL_FREE or i_count check fixed the bug. I
> > > suspect the other fix did, but we probably still want this. Or at least
> > > the I_WILL_FREE check.
> >
> > The i_count check is at least sensible if not required (not sure)
> > otherwise you do iget() on inode with zero i_count then waste your time
> > looking for watches (which can't be there or i_count would not be zero),
> > and then iput() kills off the inode and throws it out of the icache. This
> > would be done in invalidate_inodes() anyway, no need for you to do it
> > first. Even if this is not a required check it saves some cpu cycles.
> >
> > The I_WILL_FREE is definitely required otherwise you will catch inodes
> > that will suddenly become I_FREEING and then I_CLEAR under your feet once
> > you drop the inode_lock and we know that is a Bad Thing (TM) as it causes
> > the BUG_ON(i_state == I_CLEAR) in iput() to trigger that was reported
> > before (when I got drawn into inotify in the first place).
> >
> > Note that if you want to be really thorough you could wait on the inode
> > to be destroyed for good:
> >
> > if (inode->i_state & (I_FREEING|I_CLEAR|I_WILL_FREE))
> > __wait_on_freeing_inode(inode);
> >
> > And then re-check in the i_sb_list if the inode is still there (e.g. via
> > prev member of next_i->i_sb_list which will no longer be "inode" if the
> > inode has been evicted). If the inode is still there someone
> > "reactivated" it while you were waiting and you need to redo the
> > i_count and i_state checks and deal with the inode as appropriate.
> >
> > However given this is umount we are talking about there doesn't seem to be
> > much point in being that thorough.
> >
> > I am not familiar enough with i_notify but _if_ it is possible for a user
> > to get a watch on an inode which is I_FREEING|I_CLEAR|I_WILLFREE then you
> > have to do the waiting otherwise you will miss that watch with I don't
> > know what results but probably not good ones...
>
> Actually given that watches increment i_count, the results would be quite
> obvious if it were possible for this to happen. The user would see my
> [...]

I had a look at this and it is safe, i.e. to register a watch you need to
open(2) a file first and you cannot do an open(2) at the point in time
when invalidate_inodes() is called in the umount(2) code path. And you
cannot get that far into the umount(2) code path if a file is still open
(you would get -EBUSY much earlier on and the umount would fail). Thus it
is not possible for a watch to be created when inotify_umount_inodes() is
running. Thus it is not necessary to wait_on_inode() wen an inodes is in
i_state I_CLEAR|I_FREEING|I_WILL_FREE. So my patch stands as being
complete and sufficient for safety (AFAICS). (-:

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/