    SubjectRe: setitimer expire too early (Kernel 2.4)
    On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 08:56:59AM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 02:14:42PM -0700, George Anzinger wrote:
    > > Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
    > > >Hi Olivier,

    > > >Probably, yes. I've never heard such complaints before your message.
    > > >
    > > >The right way to do it seems something else BTW:
    > > >
    > > >quoting Nish Aravamudan (http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/4/29/240):
    > > >
    > > >Your patch is the only way to guarantee no early timeouts, as far as I
    > > >know.
    > > >
    > > >Really, what you want is:
    > > >
    > > >on adding timers, take the ceiling of the interval into which it could be
    > > >added
    > > >on expiring timers, take the floor
    > > >
    > > >This combination guarantees no timers go off early (and takes away
    > > >many of these corner cases). I do exactly this in my patch, btw.
    > >
    > > IMNSHO that is just another way of saying "add 1 to the jiffie count" which
    > > is what the proposed patch does.
    >
    > Hi George,
    >
    > OK - I'll write a test case to confirm there are no such longer delay
    > regressions as Paulo suggests.
    >
    > Thanks for your advice.

    Hi folks,

    There is indeed a systematic increase of +20ms when adding "+1" to the expiration
    interval.

    Since no one has noticed this before I continue to wonder if its worth adding this
    to v2.4 at this point in time.

      Last update: 2005-07-04 18:47    [W:0.108 / U:30.252 seconds]