    SubjectRe: Syncing single filesystem (slow USB writing)
    Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@mail.ru> wrote:

    > Mandrake always mounted USB sticks with sync option; it was effectively noop
    > except for a patch that implemented limited dsync semantic.
    >
    > Now, when full sync support for FATis in kernel, moutning with sync became
    > real pain. Writing speed dropped from 3MB/s to 30KB/s in my case (and I am
    > not alone).

    Unfortunately I think we're just going to have to live with that. It is
    right that fatfs behaves as it does, and unfortunate that some distros will
    operate slowly.

    For reference: how does mandrake implement this? Just in /etc/fstab? How
    should we tell other people to fix this?

    > One idea how to improve situation - continue to mount with dsync (having
    > basically old case) and do frequent sync of filesystem (this culd be started
    > as HAL callout or whatever). Unfortunately, I could not find a way to request
    > a sync (flush) of single mount point or block device. Have I missed
    > something?

    It's trivial to do in-kernel but no, I'm afraid there isn't a userspace
    interface for this.

      Last update: 2005-07-29 05:54    [W:0.022 / U:29.988 seconds]