    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > This patch schedules obsolete OSS drivers (with ALSA drivers that
    > support the same hardware) for removal.

    Hello Adrian.

    I'm the maintainer of the OSS AD1816 sound driver. I'm aware of two
    problems of the ALSA AD1816 driver, that do not show up with the OSS
    - According to my own experience and user reports audio is choppy with
    some VoIP Softphones like gnophone at least when used with the ALSA OSS
    emulation layer, whereas the OSS driver is crystal clear.
    - Users reported, that on some HP Kayak systems the on-board AD1816A
    was not properly detected by the ALSA driver or was detected, but
    there was no audio output. I'm not sure if the problem is still present in
    the current ALSA driver, as I do not own such a system.

    Maybe the OSS driver should stay in the kernel, until those problems are
    fixed in the ALSA driver.

    | | / E-Mail:
    |horsten |/\nabe WWW:

      Last update: 2005-07-28 17:13    [W:0.024 / U:2.772 seconds]