    SubjectRe: [patch] properly stop devices before poweroff

    I think the patch Tony mentioned (ia64-halt-hangup-fix.patch)
    was already merged into -mm tree. But as Tony said, it doesn't
    work and removing reboot notifier of e1000 looks better than
    changing ia64 version of pcibios_disable_device().

    After all, I think ia64-halt-hangup-fix.patch should be removed
    from -mm tree.

    Kenji Kaneshige

    Luck, Tony wrote:
    > I started on my OLS homework from Andrew ... and began looking
    > into what is going on here.
    > The story so far: Pavel added calls to device_suspend() to three of
    > the cases in the sys_reboot() path. This stopped ia64 from being
    > able to shutdown. There is a oops with a stacktrace pointing back
    > at the sys_reboot call.
    > Initial analysis from Kenji Kaneshige said that we might fix this
    > by adding a patch to the ia64 version of pcibios_disable_device()
    > to make it check whether the device was enabled before calling
    > acpi_pci_irq_disable(). This might fix things if the issue was
    > simply problems with this being called twice. Pavel sent a
    > "Looks good", Adam said "Is it the right fix?"
    > I just tried it ... it doesn't work, we still see an oops from
    > the sys_reboot() ... so shutdown hangs, and we can sidestep the
    > issue of whether this is ideologically correct.
    > Then I wondered whether it was just an e1000 problem (since Pavel
    > had also commented that we should perhaps removed the reboot notifier
    > from the e1000 driver). So I rebuilt my kernel with e1000 as a module
    > and ran "rmmod e1000" before running shutdown. Which promptly failed
    > with a stack trace that ran through mptscsih driver instead of e1000.
    > [N.B. Kaneshige-san has also noted that his i386 system which has the
    > mptfusion also hangs executing a SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE command].
    > Code examination in the e1000 case shows that we are a bit confused
    > and call first:
    > notifier_call_chain(reboot_notifier, ...)
    > e1000_notify_reboot(...)
    > e1000_suspend(...)
    > pci_disable_device(...)
    > pci_set_power_state(...)
    > and then:
    > device_suspend(...)
    > suspend_device() == dev->bus->suspend == pci_device_suspend
    > e1000_suspend()
    > pci_disable_device()
    > pciset_power_state()
    > So it looks like Pavel is right ... registering the reboot notifier is
    > bogus in e1000. Commenting out the register/unregister also allows
    > me to get past the e1000 so that I can fail in mptscsih_suspend() path.
    > But the fusion driver doesn't register a reboot notifier, so I can't
    > try the same trick there :-)
    > Andrew: How did you get the squitty font on ia64? The stack trace
    > from the oops flies off the top of the screen. I've tried a few
    > "vga=0x0f07" type options, but I keep getting a big font.
    > -Tony

      Last update: 2005-07-28 03:43    [W:0.023 / U:4.344 seconds]