    SubjectRe: MM kernels - how to keep on the bleeding edge?
    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:41:49 -0700
    Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:

    > Michael Krufky <mkrufky@m1k.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > [ tracking mm stuff ]
    > >

    > Sigh, sorry. It's hard. -mm is always in flux. I no longer send out the
    > `patch was dropped' message because it disturbs people.

    There were too many?
    Or you were receiving a lot of mail from particular developers with
    requests of explanation? :)

    > The mm-commits
    > list does not resend a patch when it is changed (other patches folded into
    > it, rejects fixed, changelog updated, rediffed, etc).

    This isn't so much a problem as the previous point. When there are rejects,
    it's easy (most of the time) to fix them by hand anyway as I pull the tree.

    > Sometimes I'll comment out a patch but not fully drop it.

    Now I can see that, I can diff the series.
    But if the change was large, the diff isn't very instructive.

    > I pull all the git trees at
    > least twice a day and that's not reflected on the mm-commits list either.

    That's not a problem, I can pull them too. They're public.

    > You can always tell when a -mm release is coming by watching the shower of
    > stupid compile fixes emerging :(

    I do notice that using the RSS already, :) And the usual shower isn't as
    frequent and large nowadays as before.

    > I spose I could emit a broken-out.tar.gz file occasionally (it'd be up to 5
    > times a day), but there's no guarantee that it'll compile, let alone run.
    > I could also send a notification to mm-commits when I do so. Would that
    > help?

    Really, it would. Especially if it contained an up-to-date series file.
    I'd be very grateful. (And would test and fix it up some more.)

    --
    AstralStorm

    GPG Key ID = 0xD1F10BA2
    GPG Key fingerprint = 96E2 304A B9C4 949A 10A0 9105 9543 0453 D1F1 0BA2
    Please encrypt if you can.

      Last update: 2005-07-27 00:58    [W:0.029 / U:60.660 seconds]