    SubjectRe: 10 GB in Opteron machine
    Hello,

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:39:55 +0200
    Jakob Oestergaard <jakob@unthought.net> wrote:

    > > 1. Is it possible to compile a 64-bit kernel on a 32-bit machine (or
    > > at least on a 64-bit machine with 32-bit software) and if yes, how
    > > can I do that?
    >
    > Yes. On Debian Sarge, I have a few wrapper scripts to accomplish it -
    > all attached to this mail - just untar them in /usr/local/bin on a
    > standard x86 32-bit Sarge distro. Use 'kmake' instead of 'make' when
    > you are working with your kernel source (eg. 'kmake menuconfig',
    > 'kmake all')
    >
    > Sarge comes with all the necessary toolchain support to build a 64-bit
    > kernel.
    >
    > It should be equally possible on most other distros of course, I just
    > haven't felt the urge to go waste my time with them :)

    I am also using Debian sarge. I extracted the tarfile to /usr/local/bin
    end executed "kmake menuconfig". Everything seemed fine so far. But a
    few seconds after starting the compilation (kmake bzImage) I got this
    error message:

    In file included from <snip>
    <snip>
    include/asm/mpspec.h:6:25: mach_mpspec.h: No such file or directory

    Hm. I understand why that file cannot be found: It only exists in the
    asm-i386 directory. But why does the compilation process look for a file
    that belongs to i386, but not to x86_64?

    Christoph

      Last update: 2005-07-22 13:41    [W:0.021 / U:126.940 seconds]