    SubjectRe: 10 GB in Opteron machine
    On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 11:31:38AM +0200, Christoph Pleger wrote:
    > Hello,
    > > There is no highmem option for the 64-bit kernel, because it doesn't
    > > need one.
    > I have two questions:
    > 1. Is it possible to compile a 64-bit kernel on a 32-bit machine (or at
    > least on a 64-bit machine with 32-bit software) and if yes, how can I do
    > that?

    Yes. On Debian Sarge, I have a few wrapper scripts to accomplish it -
    all attached to this mail - just untar them in /usr/local/bin on a
    standard x86 32-bit Sarge distro. Use 'kmake' instead of 'make' when
    you are working with your kernel source (eg. 'kmake menuconfig', 'kmake

    Sarge comes with all the necessary toolchain support to build a 64-bit

    It should be equally possible on most other distros of course, I just
    haven't felt the urge to go waste my time with them :)

    > 2. All other software on the machine is 32-bit software. Will that
    > software work with a 64-bit kernel?

    Yes. You tell your 64-bit kernel to enable 'IA32 Emulation' (under
    Executable file formats / Emulations).

    This is really the clever way to run a 64-bit system - 99% of what is
    commonly run on most systems only gains overhead from the 64-bit address
    space - tools like postfix, cron, syslog, apache, ... will not gain from
    being native 64-bit.

    The kernel however will gain from being 64-bit - and it will easily run
    your existing 32-bit apps.

    Solaris has done this for ages - maintaining a mostly 32-bit user space,
    a 64-bit kernel, and then allowing for certain memory intensive
    applications to run natively 64-bit.

    It's a nice way to run a Linux based system too, IMO.

    / jakob

    [unhandled content-type:application/x-tar]
     \ /
      Last update: 2005-07-22 12:43    [W:0.022 / U:10.136 seconds]