    SubjectRe: Weird USB errors on HD

    Greg KH wrote:
    > Ugh, you have a bad device or power supply, or aren't giving it enough
    > power to drive the thing. Nothing we can do in Linux for that, sorry.
    > Buy a wall-powered usb hub, that usually helps.

    I have one. I naively thought I could just plug the drive directly to the
    laptop without using the wall-powered hub. I'll try that instead. Thanks.

    That being said, shouldn't there be a way for the kernel to refuse to
    use this hd if it's not getting enough power. I don't know enough about
    USB to say, but isn't there something more elegant that could be done in
    software?

    Karim
    --
    Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
    Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits