SubjectRe: Weird USB errors on HD

Greg KH wrote:
> Ugh, you have a bad device or power supply, or aren't giving it enough
> power to drive the thing. Nothing we can do in Linux for that, sorry.
> Buy a wall-powered usb hub, that usually helps.

I have one. I naively thought I could just plug the drive directly to the
laptop without using the wall-powered hub. I'll try that instead. Thanks.

That being said, shouldn't there be a way for the kernel to refuse to
use this hd if it's not getting enough power. I don't know enough about
USB to say, but isn't there something more elegant that could be done in

Author, Speaker, Developer, Consultant
Pushing Embedded and Real-Time Linux Systems Beyond the Limits || || 1-866-677-4546