SubjectRe: [rfc patch 2/2] direct-io: remove address alignment check
Badari Pulavarty wrote:

>>>I can imagine a reason for relaxing the alignment. I keep getting asked
>>>whether we can do "O_DIRECT mount option". Database folks wants to
>>>make sure all the access to files in a given filesystem are O_DIRECT
>>>(whether they are accessing or some random program like ftp, scp, cp
>>>are acessing them). This was mainly to ensure that buffered accesses to
>>>the file doesn't polute the pagecache (while database is using O_DIRECT
>>>access). Seems like a logical request, but not easy to do :(
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Badari
>>
>> I don't know much about VM, but, if that's necessary, I think that
>>limiting pagecache size per mounted fs (or by some other applicable
>>category) is easier/more complete approach. After all, you cannot mmap
>>w/ O_DIRECT and many programs (gcc, ld come to mind) mmap large part of
>>their memory usage.
>

> I agree. I guess for mmap()ed access we can kick it back to buffered
> mode.
>
> I don't think limiting pagecache use per filesystem is an acceptable
> option. In fact, database folks exactly want this - to limit the
> pagecache use by filesystems - but I don't think its right thing to do,
> so I am trying to propose mount O_DIRECT as an alternative (if its
> feasible).

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me why you think limiting
pagecache isn't the right thing to do (tm)? O_DIRECT mount seems to me
incomplete/complex solution (DMA alignment etc...). Forgive me if this
issue has been discussed to death already.

--
tejun