SubjectRe: [rfc patch 2/2] direct-io: remove address alignment check
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 16:16, Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> How does your patch ensures that we meet the driver alignment
> restrictions ? Like you said, you need atleast "even" byte alignment
> for IDE etc..
>
> And also, are there any restrictions on how much the "minimum" IO
> size has to be ? I mean, can I read "1" byte ? I guess you are
> not relaxing it (yet)..

This patch does not change the i/o size requirements -- they
must be a multiple of device block size (usually 512).

It only relaxes the address alignment restriction. I do not
know what the driver alignment restrictions are. Without the
1st patch, it was impossible to relax the address space
check and have direct-io generate the correct i/o's to submit.

This 2nd patch, is just for testing and generating feedback
to find out what the address alignment issues are. Then
we can decide how to proceed.

Did you look over the 1st patch? Comments?

Thanks,

Daniel

  Last update: 2005-07-15 01:48    [W:0.176 / U:0.024 seconds]