    SubjectRe: rcu-refcount stacker performance
    Quoting Paul E. McKenney (
    > On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 08:44:50AM -0500, wrote:
    > > Quoting Paul E. McKenney (
    > > > My guess is that the reference count is indeed costing you quite a
    > > > bit. I glance quickly at the patch, and most of the uses seem to
    > > > be of the form:
    > > >
    > > > increment ref count
    > > > rcu_read_lock()
    > > > do something
    > > > rcu_read_unlock()
    > > > decrement ref count
    > > >
    > > > Can't these cases rely solely on rcu_read_lock()? Why do you also
    > > > need to increment the reference count in these cases?
    > >
    > > The problem is on module unload: is it possible for CPU1 to be
    > > on "do something", and sleep, and, while it sleeps, CPU2 does
    > > rmmod(lsm), so that by the time CPU1 stops sleeping, the code it
    > > is executing has been freed?
    > OK, but in the above case, "do something" cannot be sleeping, since
    > it is under rcu_read_lock().

    Oh, but that's not quite what the code is doing, rather it is doing:

    while get next element from list
    inc element.refcount
    do something
    dec refcount

    What I plan to try next is:

    while get next element from list
    if (element->owning_module->state != LIVE)
    do something

    > > Because stacker won't remove the lsm from the list of modules
    > > until mod->exit() is executed, and module_free(mod) happens
    > > immediately after that, the above scenario seems possible.
    > Right, if you have some other code path that sleeps (outside of
    > rcu_read_lock(), right?), then you need the reference count for that
    > code path. But the code paths that do not sleep should be able to
    > dispense with the reference count, reducing the cache-line traffic.

    Most if not all of the codepaths can sleep, however. So unfortunately
    that doesn't seem a feasible solution. That's why I'm hoping there is
    something inherent in the module unload code that I can take advantage
    of to forego my own refcounting.

      Last update: 2005-07-14 19:22    [W:0.022 / U:150.392 seconds]