SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
Hans Reiser wrote:
> It was always the expectation that users would want to have one
> mountpoint with the files having metafiles as files, and another with
> the same files but strictly posix, and then their apps can use whichever
> they have the power to understand.

It was never in the early betas I tried :(

I'm proposing (or re-proposing) that the /meta mountpoint be strictly
for accessing meta-files, with no intention of eventually using this by
default. Furthermore, /meta should follow POSIX anyway, mostly -- no
file-as-dir there, either, although you still wouldn't want to use tar
on it.

With only a few patches, using /meta could be almost as convenient as
using file/..metas/foo, and it completely kills the file-as-directory
flamewar -- everybody's happy.

Or so I thought. It seems that the people arguing for file-as-directory
are ignoring /meta, and the people arguing against it are arguing
against all meta-files, saying that the good things about meta-files
don't justify the risks of file-as-dir. Only once did I see someone
bring up /meta.

I don't like the idea of having /meta have file-as-dir and everything as
we originally wanted, because then we've duplicated the interface. To
read the *contents* of /foo, I can either cat /foo or cat /meta/foo.
I'd hate to have the POSIX mountpoint still lying around if no one's
using it, even more than I hate the idea of "foo" being in two places
for no good reason.

Is there a technical (performance?) reason that my approach is wrong?
(metas go in /meta, files go in /, and everything feels POSIX-y)