SubjectRe: FUSE merging?
Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> wrote:

> > > I leave the decision to you ;) It's a separate independent patch
> > > already (fuse-nfs-export.patch).
> >
> > Let's leave it out - that'll stimulate some activity in the
> > userspace-nfs-server-for-FUSE area.
> >
> > Speaking of which, dumb question: what does FUSE offer over simply using
> > NFS protocol to talk to the userspace filesystem driver?
>
> Oh lots:
>
> - no deadlocks (NFS mounted from localhost is riddled with them)

It is? We had some low-memory problems a while back, but they got fixed.
During that work I did some nfs-to-localhost testing and things seemed OK.

> - efficient protocol, optimized for less context switches

One wouldn't really expect a userspace filesystem to be particularly fast,
and the performance will be dominated by memory copies and IO wait anyway.

> - dcache invalidation policy

What's that?

> - probably more, but I can't remember

Please do..

  Last update: 2005-07-01 09:20    [W:0.100 / U:0.412 seconds]