SubjectRe: backup (was Re: reiser4 plugins)
Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> Rule #3 from http://www.streamload.com/About/Legal_eng.asp?page=id73#
> is pretty clear about what applies if you have a trial account (which
> seems to be what you have since you say you'll cancel your account if
> they charge you anything):
>
> 3. Do not circumvent Freeloader download restrictions.
> Any attempt to circumvent Freeloader trial account restrictions will
> result in a permanent banishment from the Streamload community. This
> includes (3a) files with an invalid or disguised file format; (3b)
> encryption; (3c) steganography and/or (3d) creating multiple
> freeloader accounts.
>
> You can interpret that whatever way you like, but if you're that
> cavalier with your data, hey, I'm not sure _I'd_ trust your judgement
> about which filesystem to trust. :-)

Streamload is one possibility. There are others -- gmail and such.
This is just what can be had *for*free*.

For that matter, the uploading process doesn't require a user to agree
to those terms at all. There's a module in CPAN that allows an upload,
and never asks me to agree to any terms, nor does it ask me for an
account password.

I don't have multiple accounts, I don't *use* the encryption to attempt
to circumvent the download restrictions, especially considering that
said download restrictions don't even come into play until I need a
restore. By the time I do need a restore, I'm willing to pay money, as
100 megs a month is certainly not going to be enough.

  Last update: 2005-07-01 21:58    [W:0.231 / U:1.768 seconds]