    Subject[OT] Re: BUG: Unusual TCP Connect() results.
    On Jun 9, 2005, at 16:51:39, Alastair Poole wrote:
    > The number of ports listed changes in size and they appear to be
    > random. For example, on one scan ports

    > 22, 3455, 4532 and 6236

    SSH and 3 RPC-based services, I would guess. This is not a kernel
    bug, there are probably userspace applications which are opening
    those ports, even something as simple as an FTP client in active
    mode would do it. Please run "netstat -lp" to determine which
    processes have opened each port.

    > It is also interesting to note that a basic TCP nmap scan does not
    > return these unusual results.

    nmap doesn't scan higher-numbered ports by default, because those
    ports are generally allocated dynamically by the kernel when user
    programs indicate they do not care what port they are bound on.

    Kyle Moffett

      Last update: 2005-06-10 04:27    [W:0.018 / U:4.468 seconds]