SubjectRe: device-driver supporting more than one device
Ananda Krishnan napisał(a):
> Hi All,
>
> Can a device-driver (a generic serial driver)
> support more than one device from different vendors
> (hence different vendor ids and device ids)?

In general, yes. Does it apply to the particular driver you mentioned? I
don't know.

> If so,
> during the boot time how the pci_device_id structure
> gets the info about the drvier_data? Would like to
> know the name of the function name(s) and file(s) that
> are used for this process. Thanks a lot.

The driver contains IDs of hardware it supports. At the boot time
each driver registers itself providing this list. Then for each piece of
hardware supported by a particular driver .probe function is called.
You should definitly look at /usr/src/linux/drivers/usb/usb-skeleton.c.
However, it is a usb driver, pci seem to work in a similar manner.

You might also like to read this: http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/

I am quite a newbie to kernel drivers so please correct me someone if I
am wrong.

--
Było mi bardzo miło. Trzecia pospolita klęska, [...]
>Łukasz< Już nie katolicka lecz złodziejska. (c)PP

  Last update: 2005-06-06 11:44    [W:0.049 / U:0.632 seconds]