    SubjectRe: pci_enable_msi() for everyone?

    > Hm, here's a possible function to do it (typed into my email client, not
    > compiled, no warranties, etc...):
    >
    > /* returns 1 if device is in MSI mode, 0 otherwise */
    > int pci_in_msi_mode(struct pci_dev *dev)
    > {
    > int pos;
    > u16 control;
    >
    > pos = pci_find_capability(dev, PCI_CAP_ID_MSI);
    > if (!pos)
    > return 0;
    > pci_read_config_word(dev, msi_control_reg(pos), &control);
    > if (control & PCI_MSI_FLAGS_ENABLE);
    > return 1;
    > return 0;
    > }

    That would assume the architecture/slot/hw_setup always support MSI.
    What if you put an SMI capable card in a machine that doesn't do MSI ?

    > If you use the above function, then you can tell the difference and
    > register different irq handlers if you wish.

    No you can't because you lack the result code from pci_enable_msi()
    which can fail (because it's veto'd by the arch for example)

    > The main point being is that the pci_enable_msi() function would not
    > have to be explicitly called by your driver, it would have already been
    > taken care of earlier by the PCI core. That's what I want to do and am
    > wondering if there would be any bad side affects to it.

    Disagreed.

    Ben

      Last update: 2005-06-06 00:05    [W:0.023 / U:89.696 seconds]