    SubjectRe: updating kernel to 2.6.13-rc1 from 2.6.12 + CONFIG_DEVFS_FS + empty /dev
    Quoting Greg KH <greg@kroah.com>:

    > On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 11:03:56PM +0200, Eric Valette wrote:
    > > For years now my /dev has been empty. When upgrading to 2.6.13-rc1 from
    > > 2.6.12, and updating my kernel config file via "make oldconfig" I got no
    > > visible warning about CONFIG_DEVFS_FS options being set (or at least did
    > > no see it).
    >
    > devfs has been marked OBSOLETE for a year now. It has also been
    > documented as going away. Because of this, you should not have been
    > supprised at all.

    I knew it! I just the announce for 2.6.13-rc1 did not contain this fact and I
    did not realize booting this new kernel will fail on my machine which is bad for
    a stable serie.

    > What are the speed differences that you see? I've tested it and on a
    > slow old laptop, with a lot of devices, udev only takes 2 seconds to
    > initialize the whole device tree. If you put it in initramfs, it will
    > take no additional time, as it will operate on all of the hotplug events
    > as they happen. Can't get faster than "nothing" :)

    If I already have every device in /dev, I do not need udev and yes it is fast
    :-) This is exactly what I did to boot my system again. Just via devfs, I do
    not need an initial filesystem nor need anything in user space to boot a full
    system which I like.

    -- eric

      Last update: 2005-06-30 15:16    [W:0.020 / U:0.224 seconds]