    SubjectRe: pci_enable_msi() for everyone?
    On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 03:45:51PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > In talking with a few people about the MSI kernel code, they asked why
    > we can't just do the pci_enable_msi() call for every pci device in the
    > system (at somewhere like pci_enable_device() time or so). That would
    > let all drivers and devices get the MSI functionality without changing
    > their code, and probably make the api a whole lot simpler.

    One complication is some drivers will want to register a different
    IRQ handler depending on if MSI is enabled or not.
    If MSI is enabled (and usable), then some MMIO reads can be omitted.
    I've posted a patch for tg3 driver:

    (Just an example! It was not accepted because of buggy HW
    though it worked great on the HW I have access to.)

    drivers/infiniband/hw/mthca driver is another example.

    > Now I know the e1000 driver would have to specifically disable MSI for
    > some of their broken versions, and possibly some other drivers might
    > need this, but the downside seems quite small.
    > Or am I missing something pretty obvious here?

    How can the driver know which IRQ handlers to register?

      Last update: 2005-06-04 03:31    [W:0.020 / U:3.268 seconds]