> > Subject: Double free of initramfs
> Is there a patch to fix this? I've noticed a solid lockup when trying to
> umount initramfs after a pivot_root.

Nope, but there's a design:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:49:32 +0000
From: Ralf Baechle <>
To: linux-arch@vger
Subject: Double free of initramfs

In all linker scripts we currently have something like this:

__init_begin = .;
. = ALIGN(4096);
__initramfs_start = .;
.init.ramfs : { *(.init.ramfs) }
__initramfs_end = .;
__init_end = .;
It seems all 25 linker scripts in the current bk tree are suffering from
this. Which mean with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD enabled first free_initrd_mem
may be called to free the initram disk and just a little later
free_initmem will try to free the entire range again, so either the
linker scripts would need fixing or free_initrd_mem has become obsolete.