    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    On 6/29/05, Hubert Chan <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 01:09:05 -0400, Horst von Brand <> said:
    > > Hubert Chan <> wrote: [...]
    > > And doing "tar cf /dev/tape /usr/games/tetris" gives you a nice tangle
    > > of undecipherable junk.

    I'm confused. Can someone on one of these lists enlighten me?

    How is directories as files logically any different than putting all
    data into .data files and making all files directories (yes you would
    need some sort of special handling for files that were really called
    .data). Then it's just a matter of deciding what happens when you
    call open and stat on one of these files?

    For backwards compatibility, current existing system calls have to
    treat these things as directories. Perhaps an exception could be made
    for exec.

    But we could have a whole new set of system calls that treat things as
    magic, and if files as directories is as cool as many people think,
    apps will start using the new api. If not, they won't and the new api
    can be deprecated.

      Last update: 2005-06-29 23:39    [W:0.045 / U:17.844 seconds]