SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
Markus   Törnqvist <> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:34:50PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> >David Masover <> wrote:
> >> I think Hans (or someone) decided that when hardware stops working, it's
> >> not the job of the FS to compensate, it's the job of lower layers, or
> >> better, the job of the admin to replace the disk and restore from
> >> backups.

> >Handling other people's data this way is just reckless irresponsibility.
> >Sure, you can get high performance if you just forego some of your basic
> >responsibilities.

> Your honest-to-bog opinion is that the FS vendor is responsible for
> the admin not taking backups or the hardware vendor shipping crap?

No. But just relying on perfect hardware and concientious sysadmins is
reckless. Hardware /is/ flaky, sysadmins /are/ (sometimes) lazy (and
besides, today they are increasingly just plain Joe Sixpack users). Also,
backing up a few hundred GiB is /not/ fun, and then keeping track of all
the backups is messy.

Also, I'm not claiming that they are /solely/ responsible, but not having
the filesystem fall apart utterly every time some bug breaths on it /is/ a

> *still trying to understand how that can be*

You haven't been around too much yet, do you?
Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616