    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    Markus   Törnqvist <mjt@nysv.org> wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:34:50PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
    > >David Masover <ninja@slaphack.com> wrote:
    > >> I think Hans (or someone) decided that when hardware stops working, it's
    > >> not the job of the FS to compensate, it's the job of lower layers, or
    > >> better, the job of the admin to replace the disk and restore from
    > >> backups.

    > >Handling other people's data this way is just reckless irresponsibility.
    > >Sure, you can get high performance if you just forego some of your basic
    > >responsibilities.

    > Your honest-to-bog opinion is that the FS vendor is responsible for
    > the admin not taking backups or the hardware vendor shipping crap?

    No. But just relying on perfect hardware and concientious sysadmins is
    reckless. Hardware /is/ flaky, sysadmins /are/ (sometimes) lazy (and
    besides, today they are increasingly just plain Joe Sixpack users). Also,
    backing up a few hundred GiB is /not/ fun, and then keeping track of all
    the backups is messy.

    Also, I'm not claiming that they are /solely/ responsible, but not having
    the filesystem fall apart utterly every time some bug breaths on it /is/ a
    requirement.

    > *still trying to understand how that can be*

    You haven't been around too much yet, do you?