SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:19:01AM -0500, David Masover wrote:
[...]
>>Given a choice between changing filesystems or getting a Streamload
>>account, I choose Streamload. (streamload.com)
>

> *If* you can afford the upload bandwidth to backup over the network,
> and *if* you don't mind these gems in their legal T's and C's:
>
> Streamload cannot warrant and does not guarantee, and You
> should not expect, that all of Your private communications and
> other personal information will never be disclosed in ways not
> otherwise described in this Privacy Policy.

gpg. Was in my upload script to begin with. I keep my key written many
times on a single hidden CD. So long as the isofs can be read, at least
one of the copies should be usable.

> As-Is and As-Available. Neither Streamload nor any User, or
> their respective agents, warrants that the service, Private
> Content or Public Content, or Your access thereto, will be
> uninterrupted or error free, and Streamload's services and
> both Public Content and Private Content are provided on an "as
> is, as available" basis. Streamload has the right to make
> changes to its services without notice to You. Neither

They don't have any billing information on me. If they charge me for
something, I'll cancel my account.

> Streamload nor any User warrants that Public Content or
> Private Content will be free of viruses or similar
> contamination or destructive features. You expressly agree to
> assume any and all risk as to the use, quality, performance,
> accuracy or completeness of any Private Content, Public
> Content, or Streamload's services.

They are giving you unlimited storage for free. Even with all of that,
it's a damn good deal.

> And of course, while Streamload is pretty cheap for a minimal account,
> if you have say, a several hundred gigabytes of data which is lost
> when your filesystem implodes, they have you over a barrel and charge
> $$$ in order for you to recover it. But if you think it's this works
> for you, please, go right ahead. Just don't come whining to us
> afterwards if you get screwed.

I don't have several hundred gigabytes of dynamic data, and neither does
the average desktop user. The several hundred gigabytes of static data
I have would be backed up on DVDs anyway.

Now, if we're talking about a sysadmin, then of course you need a better
backup solution -- no matter what FS you use.

  Last update: 2005-06-27 23:31    [W:0.315 / U:1.836 seconds]