    SubjectRe: [ltp] IBM HDAPS Someone interested? (Accelerometer)
    On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 01:13:17PM -0500, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

    > I have a question here, how do you guys think that the head is parked,
    > is it done by the controller directly, which then sends the command to
    > the HD to park the head, or this is done by the operating system in some
    > kind of way?
    > I think the OS or user space is too slow like to react to send a park
    > command to the hard drive, so this most be done directly by the embedded
    > controller, but still I think it needs some input from the OS, to
    > initialize it's settings.

    The only way to park a drive is to send a command to it through the IDE
    interface. This can't be done by the controller itself, since the
    controller in the ThinkPad is a classic Intel ICH chip which only passes
    commands around.

    The OS is definitely fast enough for this kind of task, it's doable even
    in userspace, although not easy.

    > i.e. after all, in windows you do have the settings in the software
    > for HDAPS, but it looks like it is _not_ managed by the operating
    > system at all if there is some type of action to be taken. This is
    > also probably why HDAPS won't kick in until booted, and that is
    > because it needs to load its config setup by the software.

    > This is what I think, please correct me if I'm saying something crazy.

    It is definitely all done by the windows kernel driver.

    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs, SuSE CR

      Last update: 2005-06-25 22:15    [W:0.021 / U:37.212 seconds]