    SubjectRe: [RFC] Fix SMP brokenness for PF_FREEZE and make freezing usable for other purposes
    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > > I only know that this boots correctly since I have no system that can do
    > > suspend. But Ray needs an effective means of process suspension for
    > > his process migration patches.
    > Any i386 or x86-64 machine can do suspend... It should be easy to get
    > some notebook... [What kind of hardware are you working on normally?]

    Umm... Sorry to be so negative but that has never worked for me on lots of
    laptops. Usually something with ACPI or some driver I guess... After
    awhile I gave up trying.

    > > But is this the correct way to fix this?
    > It includes whitespace changes and most of patch is nice cleanup that
    > should probably go in separately. (Hint hint :-).

    > Previous code had important property: try_to_freeze was optimized away
    > in !CONFIG_PM case. Please keep that.

    Obviously that will not work if we use try_to_freeze for
    non-power-management purposes. The code from kernel/power/process.c may
    have to be merged into some other kernel file. kernel/sched.c?

      Last update: 2005-06-25 06:35    [W:0.020 / U:188.776 seconds]