    SubjectRe: [RFC] Fix SMP brokenness for PF_FREEZE and make freezing usable for other purposes
    > > > I only know that this boots correctly since I have no system that can do
    > > > suspend. But Ray needs an effective means of process suspension for
    > > > his process migration patches.
    > >
    > > Any i386 or x86-64 machine can do suspend... It should be easy to get
    > > some notebook... [What kind of hardware are you working on normally?]
    > Umm... Sorry to be so negative but that has never worked for me on lots of
    > laptops. Usually something with ACPI or some driver I guess... After
    > awhile I gave up trying.

    You should be able to do acpi=off if it gives you a problem. Going
    with minimal drivers help, too...

    > > Previous code had important property: try_to_freeze was optimized away
    > > in !CONFIG_PM case. Please keep that.
    > Obviously that will not work if we use try_to_freeze for
    > non-power-management purposes. The code from kernel/power/process.c may
    > have to be merged into some other kernel file. kernel/sched.c?

    You want to use it for process migration, right? Not everyone wants
    either software or process migration... We may want to keep overhead
    low for embedded systems...

    Boycott Kodak -- for their patent abuse against Java.

      Last update: 2005-06-26 00:41    [W:0.020 / U:10.300 seconds]