    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 12:21:18PM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > There is an area where we suffered from writing fsck last. When there
    > are two leaf nodes with the same key range AND the bitmap cannot be
    > trusted to tell us which is the valid one, we don't know which is the
    > most recent, and pick arbitrarily. Also, if you store a backup of V3,
    > and you don't compress it, and you wipe out the bitmap blocks and need
    > to use fsck, we don't know what blocks are backup image and what blocks
    > are the fs. We advise users to never store a V3 backup on V3 without
    > compressing it.

    Unfortunately, there are plenty of reasons why you might want to store
    a filesystem image on disk besides for backup purposes:

    * Regression tests --- I have some 70+ small filesystem images
    used for e2fsck's regression test suite. (I am always
    amazed how many filesystem fsck programs don't have
    regression test suites.)
    * Initial ram-disk images
    * Image files for qemu or user-mode-linux

    ... and probably many more. None of these are safe to store on a
    reiserfs3 filesystem if you're worried about fsck being robust after a
    disk failure.

    Funny thing. When I tell system administrators who have been around
    the block more than a few times about this particular "feature" of
    reiserfs3, they usually very quickly decide that it's time to switch
    to another filesystem.....

    - Ted

      Last update: 2005-06-25 01:14    [W:0.020 / U:2.400 seconds]