    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] ndevfs - a "nano" devfs
    Greg KH wrote:
    > Now I just know I'm going to regret this somehow...
    >
    > Anyway, here's yet-another-ramfs-based filesystem, ndevfs. It's a very
    > tiny:
    > $ size fs/ndevfs/inode.o
    > text data bss dec hex filename
    > 1571 200 8 1779 6f3 fs/ndevfs/inode.o
    > replacement for devfs for those embedded users who just can't live
    > without the damm thing. It doesn't allow subdirectories, and only uses
    > LSB compliant names. But it works, and should be enough for people to
    > use, if they just can't wean themselves off of the idea of an in-kernel
    > fs to provide device nodes.

    Well. Maybe directories really are of no use, but mknod/symlink/unlink
    *are* useful. That same mdadm who needs to create /dev/mdX *before*
    that device is created? And socket for /dev/log...

    And oh, directories.. devpts? Stuff like cciss/... represented in sysfs
    like cciss!... ?

    I don't see anything wrong with allowing creating/removing files in
    the filesystem (except of possible locking issues which can arise) --
    in-kernel support just does mknod/unlink on insert/remove, and if
    that fails (EEXIST/ENOENT), well, so be it...

    And since the whole namespace is now flat, another question comes in:
    is there any guarantee the names will not overlap? /dev/ttyS0 and
    /dev/usb/ttyS0 (I don't remember which one it was, but I *think* I
    saw same names but in different dirs in /dev...)

    /mjt

      Last update: 2005-06-24 19:22    [W:2.643 / U:0.012 seconds]