Subjectisa0060/serio0 problems -WAS- Re: Asus MB and 2.6.12 Problems
Frank Peters <frank.peters@comcast.net> wrote:

>After downloading and compiling the latest version 2.6.12, my
>keyboard becomes unresponsive and dead following the boot process.
>This doesn't occur all of the time, but only some of the time.
>In particular, the follwing boot up message will be seen at
>sporadic places among the other text output:
>
>input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
>
>When this message does not occur anywhere in the boot messages,
>the keyboard is not functional. When the message does occur, then
>the keyboard will respond, but sometimes with an erratic key
>repeat rate. After rebooting several times I can usually get
>the system up and running smoothly, but with this current kernel
>2.6.12, there is no guarantee that it will boot properly at any
>given time.

>My system is an ASUS P4B533 motherboard with a Pentium 3.6 Ghz
>Hyperthreaded processor and 1 GHz RAM. The kernel is the stock
>linux kernel (compiled with gcc-2.95.3) and the rest of my software
>is self-compiled (i.e. no distribution).
>
>If I disable ACPI, either by compiling a new 2.6.12 kernel or
>through boot up parameters, the keyboard will respond normally
>without any problems, but the kernel will not recognize my
>hyperthreaded processor. Only one CPU will be initialized and
>active.
>
>Thus, I can enjoy a problem-free 2.6.12 kernel if I choose to
>sacrifice ACPI and hyperthreading.

>If anyone has any suggestions or needs any more information,
>please CC me at the address frank.peters@comcast.net as I am not
>a subscriber to the list.

I am having the same problem with my Shuttle FT61 motherboard, although
I have not tried to disable ACPI... Until now I thought I just had a
faulty keyboard, as my method to fix this was to unplug the keyboard and
plug it back in after bootup. When this happens, I see this in dmesg as
the last line:

input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

I am also having problems with my AUX mouse, as seen in message

Subject: 2.6.12-rc5-mm1 breaks serio: i8042 AUX port

Frank, are you having problems with your ps/2 mouse port as well?

I haven't spent enough time experimenting with this, as I thought it
might have had something to to with my hardware / KVM switch. Seeing
Frank's message is the reason why I've decided to chime back in on this.

As a clarification, I have been having these keyboard problems
intermittently, regardless of whether I'm using -mm or mainline kernel.
I was NOT having this problem in 2.6.11 I wasn't having the psaux mouse
problems in 2.6.11 either .... I unplugged my psaux mouse from that
machine before 2.6.12-mainline was released, so I don't know if those
symptoms are still present. (using USB mouse now instead). I am
currently in my office, so I can't test this right now, and I will be
away for this weekend. I'll be able to make these tests again come
Sunday night/Monday. ...and I will try it this time WITHOUT the kvm
switch.

--
Michael Krufky