SubjectRe: [patch] fix SMT scheduler latency bug
Date
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:32, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org> wrote:
> > > task_timeslice(p) is indeed constant over time, but
> > > smt_curr->time_slice is not. So this condition opens up the possibility
> > > of a lower prio thread accumulating a larger ->time_slice and thus
> > > reversing the priority equation.
> >
> > I'm not clear on how the value of ->time_slice can ever grow to larger
> > than task_timeslice(p). It starts at task_timeslice(p) and decrements
> > till it gets to 0 when it refills again.
>
> I was thinking abut sched_exit(), there we let unused child timeslices
> 'flow back' into the parent thread, if the child thread was shortlived.
> The check there does:
>
> if (p->first_time_slice) {
> p->parent->time_slice += p->time_slice;
> if (unlikely(p->parent->time_slice > task_timeslice(p)))
> p->parent->time_slice = task_timeslice(p);
> }
>
> notice that we check parent->time_slice against the child's
> task_timeslice(p), not against task_timeslice(p->parent). So if the
> child thread got reniced, it could cause a higher-than-normal amount of
> timeslices. But this should be a rare scenario, and the above code is
> more of a bug than a feature (will send a patch for it tomorrow), and it
> should not affect the workloads i was testing.

Agreed.

> lets take a look at the second condition again:
>
> if ((p->time_slice * (100 - sd->per_cpu_gain) / 100) >
> task_timeslice(smt_curr))
> resched_task(smt_curr);
>
> if this condition is true then we trigger a preemption at smt_curr. Now
> in the bug scenario, 'p' is a highprio task and smt_curr is a lowprio
> task. If p->time_slice (which fluctuates between task_timeslice(p) and
> 0) happens to be low enough, preemption wont be triggered and we lose a
> wakeup in essence - 'p', despite being the highest-prio task around,
> wont be run until some CPU runs schedule() voluntarily. Ok?

In dependent_sleeper() we return 1 only to prevent p from scheduling. This
second condition does not return 1 from dependent_sleeper() so p will still
go ahead and schedule. This second condition only affects the scheduling on
the smt sibling.

About the only scenario I can envision a high priority task being delayed with
the code as it currently is in 2.6.12-mm1 is with a high priority task being
on the expired array and a low priority task being delayed on the active
array. This still should not create large latencies unless array swapping is
significantly delayed. I considered adding a check for this originally but it
seemed to be unnecessary extra complexity since an expired task by design is
expected to be delayed more anyway.

Cheers,
Con

Cheers,
Con

  Last update: 2005-06-23 02:09    [W:0.140 / U:0.048 seconds]