    SubjectUpdated git HOWTO for kernel hackers

    Things in git-land are moving at lightning speed, and usability has
    improved a lot since my post a month ago:

    1) installing git

    git requires bootstrapping, since you must have git installed in order
    to check out git.git (git repo), and linux-2.6.git (kernel repo). I
    have put together a bootstrap tarball of today's git repository.

    Download tarball from:

    tarball build-deps: zlib, libcurl, libcrypto (openssl)

    install tarball: unpack && make && sudo make prefix=/usr/local install

    jgarzik helper scripts, not in official git distribution:

    After reading the rest of this document, come back and update your copy
    of git to the latest:

    2) download a linux kernel tree for the very first time

    $ mkdir -p linux-2.6/.git
    $ cd linux-2.6
    $ rsync -a --delete --verbose --stats --progress \
    \ <- word-wrapped backslash; sigh

    3) update local kernel tree to latest 2.6.x upstream ("fast-forward merge")

    $ cd linux-2.6
    $ git-pull-script \

    4) check out files from the git repository into the working directory

    $ git checkout -f

    5) check in your own modifications (e.g. do some hacking, or apply a patch)

    # go to repo
    $ cd linux-2.6

    # make some modifications
    $ patch -sp1 < /tmp/my.patch
    $ diffstat -p1 < /tmp/my.patch

    # NOTE: add '--add' and/or '--remove' if files were added or removed
    $ git-update-cache <list of all files changed>

    # check in changes
    $ git commit

    6) List all changes in working dir, in diff format.

    $ git-diff-cache -p HEAD

    7) List all changesets (i.e. show each cset's description text) in local
    branch of local tree, that are not present in remote tree.

    $ cd my-kernel-tree-2.6
    $ git-changes-script -L ../linux-2.6 | less

    8) List all changesets:

    $ git-whatchanged

    9) apply all patches in a Berkeley mbox-format file

    First, download and add to your PATH Linus's git tools:

    $ cd my-kernel-tree-2.6
    $ dotest /path/to/mbox # yes, Linus has no taste in naming scripts

    10) don't forget to download tags from time to time.

    git-pull-script only downloads sha1-indexed object data, and the
    requested remote head. This misses updates to the .git/refs/tags/ and
    .git/refs/heads directories. It is advisable to update your kernel .git
    directories periodically with a full rsync command, to make sure you got

    $ cd linux-2.6
    $ rsync -a --delete --verbose --stats --progress \
    \ <- word-wrapped backslash; sigh

    11) list all branches, such as those found in my netdev-2.6 or
    libata-dev trees.

    $ cd netdev-2.6
    $ ls .git/refs/heads/

    { these are the current netdev-2.6 branches }
    > 8139cp forcedeth master qeth smc91x we18
    > 8139too-iomap for-linus natsemi r8169 smc91x-eeprom wifi
    > airo hdlc ns83820 register-netdev starfire
    > atmel ieee80211 orinoco remove-drivers tlan
    > chelsio iff-running orinoco-hch sis900 veth
    > dm9000 janitor ppp skge viro

    12) make desired branch current in working directory

    $ git checkout -f $branch

    13) create a new branch, and make it current

    $ cp .git/refs/heads/master .git/refs/heads/my-new-branch-name
    $ git checkout -f my-new-branch-name

    14) examine which branch is current

    $ ls -l .git/HEAD

    15) undo all local modifications (same as checkout):

    $ git checkout -f

    16) obtain a diff between current branch, and master branch

    In most trees WITH BRANCHES, .git/refs/heads/master contains the current
    'vanilla' upstream tree, for easy diffing and merging. (in trees
    without branches, 'master' simply contains your latest changes)

    $ git-diff-tree -p master HEAD

      Last update: 2005-06-23 00:39    [W:0.025 / U:2.720 seconds]