    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    David Masover writes:

    > Maintainability is like optimization. The maintainability of a
    > non-working program is irrelevant. You'd be right if we already had
    > plugins-in-the-VFS. We don't. The most maintainable solution for
    > plugins-in-the-FS that actually exists is Reiser4, exactly as it is now
    > - -- because it is the _only_ one that actually exists right now.

    But it is not so. There _are_ plugins-in-the-VFS. VFS operates on opaque
    objects (inodes, dentries, file system types) through interfaces:
    {inode,address_space,dentry,sb,etc.}_operations. Every file system
    back-end if free to implement whatever number of these interfaces. And
    the do this already: check the sources; even ext2 does this: e.g.,
    ext2_fast_symlink_inode_operations and ext2_symlink_inode_operations.

    This is exactly what upper level reiser4 plugins are for.

    I guess that one of Christoph Hellwig's complaints is that reiser4
    introduces another layer of abstraction to implement something that
    already exists.

      Last update: 2005-06-22 16:40    [W:0.020 / U:192.640 seconds]