    SubjectRe: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status (fuse)
    Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> wrote:

    > > > Sorry, I don't get it.
    > >
    > > I'm asking you to expand on what the problems would be if we were to
    > > enhance the namespace code as suggested.
    >
    > OK, what I was thinking, is that the user could create a new
    > namespace, that has all the filesystems remounted 'nosuid'. This
    > wouldn't need any new kernel infrastructure, just a suid-root program
    > (e.g. newns_nosuid), that would do a clone(CLONE_NEWNS), then
    > recursively remount everything 'nosuid' in the new namespace. Then
    > restore the user's privileges, and exec a shell.
    >
    > In this namespace the user could mount things to his heart's content.
    > He could mount over system directories or even the root directory,
    > without being able to do any harm.
    >
    > This is very nice, but a bit inpractical, since now all the other
    > programs of the user, his desktop environment, login shells etc. Won't
    > be able to see the userspace filesystems mounted in the private
    > namespace.

    Yup, that's useless. That makes the whole CLONE_NEWNS idea unworkable,
    yes?

    Have we exhausted the alternatives?

    (If, as you say, v9fs and samba (did you mean smbfs/cifs?) want
    unprivileged mounts, shouldn't the code which you have there be moved out
    of fs/fuse/ and into fs/?)

      Last update: 2005-06-22 12:34    [W:0.045 / U:63.820 seconds]