    SubjectRe: ipw2100: firmware problem
    Jirka Bohac wrote:
    > On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 05:44:20PM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:
    >>On Wednesday 08 June 2005 17:23, Pavel Machek wrote:
    >>>What's the prefered way to solve this one? Only load firmware when
    >>>user does ifconfig eth1 up? [It is wifi, it looks like it would be
    >>>better to start firmware sooner so that it can associate to the
    >>Do you want to associate to an AP when your kernel boots,
    >>_before_ any iwconfig had a chance to configure anything?
    >>That's strange.
    >>My position is that wifi drivers must start up in an "OFF" mode.
    >>Do not send anything. Do not join APs or start IBSS.
    > Agreed.
    >>Thus, no need to load fw in early boot.
    > I don't think this is true. Loading the firmware on the first
    > "ifconfig up" is problematic. Often, people want to rename the
    > device from ethX/wlanX/... to something stable. This is usually
    > based on the adapter's MAC address, which is not visible until
    > the firmware is loaded.
    > Prism54 does it this way and it really sucks. You need to bring
    > the adapter up to load the firmware, then bring it back down,
    > rename it, and bring it up again.

    The atmel driver includes a small firmware stub which does nothing but
    determine the MAC address, to solve this problem. This is compiled into
    the driver and so doesn't depend on request_firmware(). The stub was
    created by reverse engineering the card and is GPL, so there's no
    problem including it in the kernel.

    This is not a general solution, since it depends on the ability to
    create such MAC reader firmware, but it might be a possibility in this case.

      Last update: 2005-06-21 10:29    [W:0.021 / U:32.364 seconds]