SubjectRe: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status
Andrew Morton wrote:
> git-ocfs
>
> The OCFS2 filesystem. OK by me, although I'm not sure it's had enough
> review.

Every time I come up with a complaint about ocfs2, the Oracle guys
manage to shoot me down. I think it's OK to merge.

> sparsemem
>
> OK by me for a merge. Need to poke arch maintainers first, check that
> they've looked at it sufficiently closely.

seems sane, though there are some whitespace niggles that should be
cleaned up

> rapidio-*
>
> Will merge.

send through netdev, as is proper

> dlm-*.patch: Red Hat distributed lock manager
>
> Hard. Right now it seems that no in-kernel projects will use this and
> only one out-of-kernel project will use it. Shelve the problem until
> after Kernel Summit, where some light may be shed.
>
> Opinions are sought...

I hate to say it, since its my own employer, but I agree: wait for
in-kernel users, at the very least.

> connector.patch
>
> Nice idea IMO, but there are still questions around the
> implementation. More dialogue needed ;)
>
> connector-add-a-fork-connector.patch
>
> OK, but needs connector.

I don't like connector

> inotify
>
> There are still concerns about the userspace API and internal
> implementation details. More slogging needed.

We should ask hpa what he needs for kernel.org. Ideally kernel.org
probably wants <something> that facilitates listening to <something> for
a list of files being changed. That would greatly speed up the robots,
and possibly rsync-like activities too.

> pcmcia-*.patch
>
> Makes the pcmcia layer generate hotplug events and deprecates cardmgr.
> Will merge.

Testing? The goal behind the patch is certainly good, but I worry about
exposure.

> cachefs
>
> This is a ton of code which knows rather a lot about pagecache
> internals. It allows the AFS client to cache file contents on a local
> blockdev.
>
> I don't think it's a justified addition for only AFS and I'd prefer to
> see it proven for NFS as well.
>
> Issues around add-page-becoming-writable-notification.patch need to
> be resolved.
>
> cachefs-for-nfs
>
> A recent addition. Needs review from NFS developers and considerably
> more testing.
>
> These things aren't looking likely for 2.6.13.

If I could vote more than once, I would! I really like cachefs, and
have been pushing for its inclusion for a while.

> kexec and kdump
>
> I guess we should merge these.
>
> I'm still concerned that the various device shutdown problems will
> mean that the success rate for crashing kernels is not high enough for
> kdump to be considered a success. In which case in six months time we'll
> hear rumours about vendors shipping wholly different crashdump
> implementations, which would be quite bad.
>
> But I think this has gone as far as it can go in -mm, so it's a bit of
> a punt.

I'm not particularly pleased with these, and indeed vendors ARE shipping
other crashdump methods.

> reiser4
>
> Merge it, I guess.
>
> The patches still contain all the reiser4-specific namespace
> enhancements, only it is disabled, so it is effectively dead code. Maybe
> we should ask that it actually be removed?

The plugin stuff is crap. This is not a filesystem but a filesystem +
new layer. IMO considered in that light, it duplicates functionality
elsewhere.

> v9fs
>
> I'm not sure that this has a sufficiently high
> usefulness-to-maintenance-cost ratio.

agreed (though I think 9P is neat)

> It has been said that a userspace NFS server can be used to get
> full NFS server functionality with FUSE. I think the half-assed kernel
> implementation should be done away with.

"It has been said" -- its true. A userspace NFS server can do 100% of
userspace FS functionality.

Jeff