Subjectget_user_pages() and shared memory question
Hi,

Is it possible for a page of memory that's been "grabbed" with get_user_pages() to ever be
allocated to another process? I'm assuming the answer is no, but I have a specific case I
want to ask about.

Let's say an application allocates some shared memory, and then calls into a driver which
calls get_user_pages(). The driver exits without releasing the pages, so they now have a
reference count on them. Then the application deallocates the shared memory. At this
point, the virtual addresses disappear, and no process owns them, but the pages still have
a reference count.

Another process now tries to allocate a shared memory buffer. Is there any way that this
new buffer can contain those pages that were grabbed with get_user_pages() (i.e. that
already have a reference count)?

Until 2.6.7, there was a bug in the VM where a page that was grabbed with get_user_pages()
could be swapped out. Those of you familar with the OpenIB work know what I'm talking
about. Would that bug affect anything I'm talking about?

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer

One thing a Southern boy will never say is,
"I don't think duct tape will fix it."
-- Ed Smylie, NASA engineer for Apollo 13

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans