    SubjectRe: -mm -> 2.6.13 merge status (fuse)
    > fuse
    >
    > This is useful, but there are, AFAIK, two issues:
    >
    > - We're still deadlocked over some permission-checking hacks in there

    Oh, god. Let me try to explain this again:

    - This is a security issue with unprivileged mounts

    - Since no other filesystem currently offers secure unpivileged
    mounts in Linux, this is something "new"

    - Since it's something new, there's a big resistance to acceptance.
    I understand this, I only ask people, to please read
    Documentation/filesystems/fuse.txt, before arguing against it

    - IMO it's not a hack, and it's not something that can be solved
    otherwise (no, private namespaces are NOT a solution, they are
    mosty orthogonal to this).

    So I welcome constructive discussion. However bear in mind, that I
    definitely don't want to disable unprivileged mounts. For me that is
    _the_ most important feature of FUSE.

    > - It has an NFS server implementation which only works if the
    > to-be-served file happens to be in dcache.

    More preciesly it relies on icache.

    > It has been said that a userspace NFS server can be used to
    > get full NFS server functionality with FUSE. I think the
    > half-assed kernel implementation should be done away with.

    I won't shed many tears if you drop fuse-nfs-export.patch. It would
    at least give the userspace solution some boost.

    However the patch is pretty small, and despite it's flaws, I know it's
    used by a number of people.

    Thanks,
    Miklos

      Last update: 2005-06-21 12:26    [W:0.022 / U:1.032 seconds]