    SubjectRe: 2.6.12 udev hangs at boot
    On Saturday 18 June 2005 20:06, Nick Warne wrote:
    > On Saturday 18 June 2005 17:53, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > > Nick Warne wrote:
    > > > New 2.6.12 build hangs at initialising udev dynamic device directory on
    > > > boot.
    > >
    > > Did you try simply waiting a while?
    > >
    > > udev took a long time to initialize (30-40 seconds) for me, then
    > > everything worked and the machine booted just fine.
    > >
    > > I've seen this on both new and old udev. Some patience will fix things :)
    > Yes, I waited a while first time. No drive activity, no nothing. Keyboard
    > was still awake though, so it wasn't a 'crash' as such. The boot just stopped
    > there twiddling it's thumbs...
    > Installing the latest udev though makes the machine boot so fast I can't see
    > the 'initialising udev devices' message unless I scroll back to see in
    > console. I thought at first I broke it, and udev wasn't working at all now
    > and was being ignored, but it is working just fine :-)
    > But remember, what got me was it boots fine on, insomuch I never
    > really saw the udev message away and never had to investigate it before.

    udev-030 is looking for detached_state somewhere inside /sys tree,
    but somewhere between 2.6.12-rc3 and -rc5 detached_state is gone.

    I installed udev-058 and it fixed things.

    It took me more than hour to figure out, from 02:00 to after 03:00.

    Greg, any plans to distribute udev and hotplug within kernel tarballs
    so that people do not need to track such changes continuously?

    After all, udev is tied to /sys layout which changes with kernel
    and also udev is vital for properly functioning boot process
    (I mean: if udev breaks, you cannot easily debug it: your box
    is unusable since lots of things gone avry like gettys not having ttys
    to let you log in...).

      Last update: 2005-06-20 12:09    [W:0.022 / U:1.468 seconds]