SubjectRe: [ltp] Re: IBM HDAPS Someone interested?
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 02:25:52PM -0600, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:

> Yani,
>
> What company has ever released a Linux driver, just for the heck
> of it, or simply because they wanted it out? Hell no.
>
> (maybe a couple odd ones)
>
> We have to be persistent and ask them to release something, we paid a
> lot of money, and I have been missinformed to the fact that IBM loved
> Linux and wanted to "support it". Looks like a big lie to me. They
> don't even need to release a driver, just information. It is not even
> something that they only have. Now we all know that Analog Devices
> makes the hardware. Not them.

Motorola makes similar sensors (MMA1220D, etc). The fact that the sensor
is from AD doesn't mean anything, unfortunately, it's a generic sensor
used in videocameras (picture stabilization), digital cameras (picture
orientation detection), joysticks (logitech wingman gamepad), and many
other devices.

It's IBM (Lenovo) who interfaced it to some kind of a A/D and a
processor inside the machine that detects the free fall condition and
informs the BIOS/OS about it.

> So much for anything. I will keep asking for this information.
>
> If people would send emails to IBM like I have, instead of complaining and
> doing pilitical arguments, we probably would have an answer already.

I believe at this moment the best approach is to track where the
connections on the mainboard go from the accelerometer. ;)

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR