SubjectRe: Pending AIO work/patches
On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 05:31:54PM +0530, Suparna Bhattacharya wrote:
> (1) Updating AIO to use wait-bit based filtered wakeups (me/wli)

I've looked over the patches from today and they seem quite sane. Comments
pending...

> (3) POSIX AIO support (Bull: Laurent/Sebastian or Oracle: Joel)

The latest version incorporates changes from the last round of feedback
(great work Sebastien!) and updates the library license, so people should
definately take a closer look. This includes the necessary changes for
in-kernel signal support, as well as minimal conversion done on iocbs (the
layout matches the in-kernel iocb).

A quick reading shows that most of it looks quite good. I have to stare
at the cancellation code a bit more closely, though.

> (4) AIO for pipes (Chris Mason)

This likely needs a rewrite with whatever the final semaphore operations
turn out to look like, as it gets very easy to convert down() into
aio_down() and that minimises the changes to the code.

> (5) Asynchronous semaphore implementation (Ben/Trond?)

I got the aio_down() variant working with cancellation now, and should be
able to post an updated series of patches against 2.6.12 shortly.

> (6) epoll - AIO integration (Zach Brown/Feng Zhou/wli)

What are folks thoughts in this area? Zach's patches took the approach of
making multishot iocbs possible, which helped avoid the overhead of plain
aio_poll's command setup, which was quite visible in pipetest. Zach -- did
you do any benchmarking on your aio-epoll patches?

> (7) Vector AIO (aio readv/writev) (Yasushi Saito)

Zach also made some noises about this recently...

-ben
--
"Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once." -- John Wheeler