SubjectRe: Linux for Mobile phones and PDAs [long]
Date
Pavel Machek:
>Emmanuel Fleury:
>> So, indeed, Nokia has been funding several Open Source projects for the
>> last few months without advertising it too much. From my (poor)
>> knowledge here are some of the companies Nokia did fund for getting its
>> 770 ready:
>
> This is good news. OTOH sharp zauruses have been here for quite long
> time, and failed to make this kind of publicity.
>
> Pavel,
> [still trying to make 2.6 mount / on his zaurus sl-5500]

There are differences in how Nokia and Sharp are dealing with the Open
Source communities. Nokia are openly saying they want to commit development
work back to their respective projects where they can. Sharp were never
interested in doing this. If Sharp had been interested in the community, 2.6
kernels on the zaurus models would have happened long ago. As things stand,
we have 2.6 on some models but its been a long slow haul with no interest on
Sharp's part.

Whilst we don't yet know how far Nokia will go with this, everything I've
heard leads me to remain optimistic.

Richard

Openedhand Ltd.

  Last update: 2005-06-02 12:00    [W:0.202 / U:0.032 seconds]