    SubjectRe: A Great Idea (tm) about reimplementing NLS.

    > > > Ext2/3's encoding has always been utf-8. Period.
    > >
    > > In what way does Ext2/3 know or care about file name encoding? Doesn't
    > > it just store an arbitrary 8-byte string? Couldn't someone claim that
    > > from the start it was designed to use iso8859-1 just as easily as you
    > > can claim it was designed to use utf-8?
    > Because we've had this discussion^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H flame war
    > years ago, and despite people from Russia whining that that it took 3
    > bytes to encode each Cyrillic character in UTF-8, it's where we came out.
    > The bottom-line though is that if someone files a bug report with ext3
    > because one user on the system was is creating filenames in Japanese,
    > and another user on the same time-sharing system is creating filenames
    > in Germany, and they fail to interoperate, and they were doing so in
    > their local language, we would laugh at them --- just as people
    > writing mail programs would laugh at people who complained that they
    > were running into problems Just Sending 8-bits instead of using MIME,
    > and could you please fix this business-critical bug?
    > Or as more and more desktop programs start interpreting the filenames
    > as UTF-8, and people with local variations get screwed, that is their
    > problem, and Not Ours.

    Actually the day we have rm utf-8-ed, we have a problem. Someone will
    create two files that have same utf name, encoded differently, and
    will be in trouble. Remember old > \* "hack"? utf-8 makes variation

    If we are serious about utf-8 support in ext3, we should return
    -EINVAL if someone passes non-canonical utf-8 string.

    teflon -- maybe it is a trademark, but it should not be.

      Last update: 2005-06-19 20:56    [W:0.021 / U:96.340 seconds]