SubjectRe: 2.6.12 udev hangs at boot
Date
On Saturday 18 June 2005 17:53, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Nick Warne wrote:
> > New 2.6.12 build hangs at initialising udev dynamic device directory on
> > boot.
>
> Did you try simply waiting a while?
>
> udev took a long time to initialize (30-40 seconds) for me, then
> everything worked and the machine booted just fine.
>
> I've seen this on both new and old udev. Some patience will fix things :)

Yes, I waited a while first time. No drive activity, no nothing. Keyboard
was still awake though, so it wasn't a 'crash' as such. The boot just stopped
there twiddling it's thumbs...

Installing the latest udev though makes the machine boot so fast I can't see
the 'initialising udev devices' message unless I scroll back to see in
console. I thought at first I broke it, and udev wasn't working at all now
and was being ignored, but it is working just fine :-)

But remember, what got me was it boots fine on 2.6.11.12, insomuch I never
really saw the udev message away and never had to investigate it before.

Nick
--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, Give a whistle..."