    Subjectkernel bugzilla

    (Seeing as I did all this typing I added linux-kernel and changed the
    subject. I trust that's OK).

    Jens Axboe <> wrote:
    > > If bugzilla can now collect email, just have it forward the bug reports
    > > to linux-scsi as through it were from the reporter with itself on the cc
    > > list.

    It can be set up to report scsi bugs to a mailing list. So we can replace
    andmike with as the person who gets notification
    emails for scsi-related bug reports.

    And, apparently, bugzilla will now accept emails and will file them away in
    the right place. I've asked Martin to help set bugzilla up so that people
    who don't have a bugzilla account will be accepted into the database as well.

    > imho, the bugzilla should be abandoned.

    That's what I used to think. Until I started trying to keep track of open
    bugs against late -rc kernels. Now, the ability which bugzilla has to keep
    track of open bugs and to keep track of all the correspondence associated
    with a bug is looking really attractive.

    That's why I want it to integrate seamlessly with our normal email-based
    processes. So we can get the best of both worlds.

    > is anyone
    > (developers) using it successfully?

    The ACPI team use bugzilla a lot.

    For those bugs which are handled in bugzilla rather than via random emails,
    yeah, I'm finding bugzilla preferable.

    I haven't tested this yet, but hopefully I will now be able to:

    - get an email from bugme

    - reply to it and cc linux-kernel and a maintainer

    - Other people will comment in the normal manner with reply-to-all

    - bugzilla will capture everything.

    Suddenly, my ability to track open bugs gets a heap better, and nobody is
    impacted at all - just an additional Cc.

    One thing I haven't worked out is how to get a bug which is initially
    reported via email *into* the bugzilla system for tracking purposes. One
    could just ask the originator to raise a bugzilla entry, as lots of other
    projects do. But I don't think we want to do that - it's in our interest
    to make bug reporting as easy as possible for the reporter, rather than
    putting up barriers.

    Another problem is: what happens if a bug has been discussed via email
    which is cc'ed to linux-kernel and bugzilla, and then someone comes along
    and updates the bug record via the bugzilla web interface? I suspect those
    people who had been following the discussion via email wouldn't see the
    update. So bugzilla needs to a) automatically add all incoming Cc's to the
    records's cc list and b) automatically add all known cc's to outgoing

      Last update: 2005-06-17 23:13    [W:0.022 / U:48.680 seconds]