    > +A: The second biggest problem with dnotify is that the user
    > +interface sucks ass.  Signals are a terrible, terrible interface
    > +for file notification.  Or for anything, for that matter.  The
    > +idea solution, from all perspectives, is a file descriptor based
    > +one that allows basic file I/O and poll/select.  Obtaining the
    > +fd and managing the watches could of been done either via a
    > +device file or a family of new system calls.  We decided to
    > +implement a device file because adding three or four new system
    > +calls that mirrored open, close, and ioctl seemed silly.  A
    > +character device makes sense from user-space and was easy to
    > +implement inside of the kernel.

    Sorry to bring up a topic that should have been settled a long time ago.

    I found that the interface consisting of
    - open a handle
    - add a file descriptor with an event mask to handle
    - remove a file/watch descriptor from handle
    - wait on handle, get events
    - close handle

    in inotify is _very_ similar to how epoll is represented to user
    space. Is there a good reason that epoll is a set of syscalls while
    inotify is a character device, or is one of them simply wrong?

    Arnd <><

      Last update: 2005-06-17 19:14    [W:0.020 / U:6.916 seconds]