SubjectRe: RT : nvidia driver and perhaps others
On Wed, 2005-06-15 at 08:40 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:21:45 +0200, Serge Noiraud said:
>
> > I try to compile the nvidia driver for my RT kernel.
> > It does not work anymore.
>
> You aren't going to get much sympathy here on that one...:)

You do from me :) I have a NVidia on two machines that I run RT on. But
they are both SMP (well one is just hyper threaded) and I couldn't get
them working with SMP. So I just use the vesa driver when running RT on
those machines :-( It's been several versions back since I had it
working on UP with NVidia (about a month or two back, which at Ingo's
speed is an eternity).

> > Isn't there a better way to avoid these modifications ?
> > for example to have the external fonction the same than non RT kernel.
> > and have an internal link to the new one or something like that ?
>
> However, he *does* have a point here - GPL'ed out-of-tree drivers will
> have these same issues. Yes, I know the standard "get them into the tree"
> refrain here...

Well, if local_irq_disable doesn't turn off irqs and you don't have it
bugging per Esben's patch, it shouldn't be a problem to just recompile
it again.

> > These drivers are proprietary, so I can't modify them.
>
> Fortunately, NVidia supplies enough pieces to make things work..

But you don't know what those pieces that you don't see do and if they
really need irqs disabled. I had to hack a little to get interrupts off
to call one of the NVidia's hooks. I don't really remember all that I
did, but I still wasn't able to get it working on SMP.

> > I think we should change :
> >
> > 1 - local_irq_* to raw_local_irq_* : is it always true ?
>
> > 2 - spin_* to raw_spin_* ?
>
> Ingo et al - what *is* the recommended magic to make a driver compile and
> work cleanly with or without RT? Hopefully there's a simple "will work correctly,
> but possibly sub-optimal latency" cookbook scheme....

Hopefully, just compiling the way it is would work. The idea of Ingo's
magic code is to have what is already in place work with RT.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2005-06-15 16:53    [W:0.557 / U:0.464 seconds]