    SubjectRe: [RFD] FS behavior (I/O failure) in kernel summit
    On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 01:39:02PM -0400, Jeff Mahoney wrote:

    > Hans Reiser wrote:
    > > Jeff, would you be willing to make a proposal for what should be done?
    > > I would be interested in your suggestions.
    > >
    > > Jeff Mahoney wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hans -
    > >>
    > >>These tests must have been run on a kernel prior to 2.6.10-rc1. The I/O
    > >>error code exhibits behavior similar to ext3, so (1b). There are still
    > >>kinks to be worked out, but it's definitely not the "throw up our arms
    > >>and give up" that it used to be.
    > >>
    > >>Implementing behavior 1a for ext3 and reiserfs should be fairly trivial
    > >>- it just means that tests to check if the filesystem is in an aborted
    > >>state ("shutdown" in xfs terms) need to added to the call path in some
    > >>places, and be moved earlier in others.
    >
    > Well it seems to me that all the XFS code does is check to see if the FS
    > is in a shutdown state really early in the call path.

    FYI, the up front checks in XFS are simply to stop new I/O from starting
    if we're already in the shutdown state.

    However, there's more than that in XFS - there's checks all through
    it's I/O paths so that I/Os and transactions in flight at (or
    started after) the time of the shutdown can be aborted before doing
    further damage to a potentially corrupted filesystem. This part
    cannot be done generically as it is intimately tied to the
    filesystem.

    It is also worth noting that XFS won't shutdown a filesystem on just
    any I/O error. Shutdowns due to I/O errors only occur when the
    failure has the potential to leave the filesystem in an inconsistent
    state. Hence any given operation can return different errors
    depending on where the I/O error occurred in XFS and what effect
    that I/O error has on the consistency of the filesystem.....

    BTW, the correct list to use to get the attention of the XFS folk
    is linux-xfs@oss.sgi.com.

    Cheers,

    Dave.
    --