SubjectRe: A Great Idea (tm) about reimplementing NLS.
From
On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 04:52:00PM +0200, Lukasz Stelmach wrote:
> There are far more programmes than only iconv. First of all readline
> library is kind of broken because it counts (or at least it did a year
> ago) bytes instead of characters. I won't use UTF-8 nor force anybody
> else to do so until readline will handle it properly.

Well utf8 would sure be nice if everything used it, and getting nice
fonts for it was simple.

> And it is good in a way, however, i think kernel level translation
> should be also possible. Either done by a code in each filsystem or by
> some layer above it.

What do you do if the underlying filesystem can not store some unicode
characters that are allowed on others?

> It depend's on what it is used for. It is very good fs for removable
> media. None of linux native filesystems is good for this because of
> different uids on different machines. Since VFAT uses unicode it is
> possible to see the filenames properly on systems using different
> codepages for the same language (1:1 is possible).

VFAT uses unicode? I thought it used the same codepage silyness as FAT
did, since after all ti was just supposed to be a long filename
extension to FAT. Do they use unicode in the long filenames only?

I think UDF is a better filesystem for many types of media since it is
able to me more gently to the sectors storing the meta data than VFAT
ever will be.

Len Sorensen

  Last update: 2005-06-15 23:36    [W:0.107 / U:0.084 seconds]