SubjectRe: [RFD] FS behavior (I/O failure) in kernel summit

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Kenichi Okuyama wrote:
> Eric> I'd rather have a filesystem which I can tell to warn me immediately
> Eric> about a problem and not make things worse by trying to continue.
> Eric> A mount option for Reiserfs like Andreas proposed would be a good idea.
>
> I 100% agree with you about how file system should act.

There are permanent and transient errors.

Removing a device is ENODEV and I think this is not closely related to any
filesystem. Only Windows seems to detect this properly (the error messages
are perhaps mistranslated by cygwin?)

If the device hits bad sectors then NTFS adds them to the $BadClust list
on-the-fly and won't try to use them anymore, users don't notice anything
unless asked. _Some_ bad sectors don't mean the disk is dying: not all
disks have reserved zone, remapping or it's too small, etc. Many people
use NTFS having defected sectors without issues and no new ones develop
in time.

Thanks for your work. I think it's is important.

Cheers,
Szaka

  Last update: 2005-06-14 22:21    [W:0.855 / U:0.004 seconds]